In 2050 there will be close to 10 billion people on this planet. To feed these people in a healthy and sustainable manner we will need groundbreaking innovations. Although the challenges are massive, chip and digital technologies are seen as the key enablers in order to develop the necessary solutions. At OnePlanet Research Center a team of researchers and engineers transform ideas into applicable chip and digital technologies, within the fields of precision healthcare, and sustainable agriculture & food. By combining hardware innovations with AI innovations, we are convinced that we can solve some of the world’s problems, while at the same time delivering a competitive edge to our customers.
To create new ideas and innovations we are challenging ourselves:
– What if we could empower people towards more sustainable (and healthy) choices?
– What if we could truly understand and predict our individual future health?
– What if we could determine what food truly fits each individual nutrition needs?
– What if we could make the emission of nitrogen understandable and measurable, so that we can all make a meaningful contribution to a healthier world?
– What if we could manage stress at a personal level, in order to stimulate and coach the mental well-being of individuals?
– What if we could monitor the health of plants, predict diseases, and remotely take care of it?
– What if we could shorten the value chain from producer to consumer and in this way radically reduce food waste?
– What if …?!
At OnePlanet Research Center we don’t just imagine it. We work on it. We dream ánd do. We research and develop digital technology innovations in food, agriculture and health to achieve disruptive change. Change that is indispensable to create a healthier future, for our planet and for humanity.
OnePlanet Research Center focuses on two program lines, in which various projects and solutions are researched and developed:
Precision Health, Nutrition & Behavior
The Precision Health, Nutrition & Behavior program takes a holistic view on health. We gather and combine data on human physiology, genotype, microbiome, behavior, nutrition and context. We aim to develop sensor technology and models that translate results into preventive and curative actions. Social, physical and emotional challenges for society will be taken into account in the R&D program. Ultimately, our goal is to help individuals to adapt to these changes and integrate the solutions into everyday life. An example of new sensing technology includes an ingestible platform to measure gut health and nutrition effects. Data models, like mental health and food models will be combined in a human digital twin platform.
Sense to sustain – Precision Agriculture & Food
The Sense to sustain program bridges the gap between major developments in all aspects of our food production and emerging chip and digital technology. The program gathers and combines data on nitrogen emission, precision farming, future greenhouses, food processing and food quality, using existing and emerging sensing technology, which are all validated in field-labs. The essential combination with data-science enables identifying patterns and insights into precision-production and processing. This allows crops and production methods to adapt to everchanging circumstances and to safeguard sustainable food production for generations to come.
OnePlanet Research Center is a research and innovation center that provides value to local, national and international stakeholders. Our aim is to work with international industry, regional companies, the general public and knowledge centers. That way, we can make a real difference: healthier people, more opportunities for small and medium-sized businesses and a clear-cut training package across all levels of education – so that the labor market is ready for the future.
What OnePlanet Research Center can deliver for you:
- If you are a small or medium-sized enterprise, the Center introduces you to digital technologies that will help you develop new products or improve existing products and services. There are various ways for you to participate in our research programs and knowledge sessions, or you can apply for tailored support to develop digital innovations.
- If you are a large corporation, you can become involved in long-term research programs and short-term development projects. As such, OnePlanet researchers will work with you to develop digital innovations in agriculture, food and healthcare. We strengthen your R&D or development teams with unique complementary skills.
- If you are a secondary school or institute for higher education, your students and teaching staff have the opportunity to experiment with new digital technologies for agriculture, food and health – such as sensors and nanoelectronics, data analytics and artificial intelligence. The OnePlanet Research Center also features a hub for exchanging knowledge with other educational institutes.
- If you are a care facility in Gelderland, you can take part in research programs that aim at (jointly) developing, testing and implementing digital innovations in the healthcare sector.
- As a citizen of Gelderland, you will be amongst the first to experience innovations that have been designed to make the lives of today’s and tomorrow’s generations considerably easier. By taking part in various living lab projects that test new solutions, you can help co-create these new developments – and help them move in the right direction.
OnePlanet Research Center is a multidisciplinary collaboration agreement between Wageningen University & Research (WUR), Radboud University, Radboudumc and imec. We use the latest chip and digital technologies to create a society in which everyone can live a healthy life and has access to healthy and sustainable food.
We initiate fundamental and applied research, groundbreaking innovations and smart product applications. This is only possible by using and bringing together great ideas, innovations and chip and digital technologies from different disciplines and work closely together with industry.
We ensure that companies, education, researchers, social institutions and citizens work together. We combine specialisms from the fields of agriculture, food and health and turn dreams into feasible solutions that contribute to a more sustainable society.
|14/01/2020||Flanders Food closing event i-FAST in combination with New Year’s reception food industry||Affligem (Belgium)||Demo booth|
|01/02/2020||Wageningen Data Science Week||Wageningen||General presentation|
|11/02/2020||OnePlanet information event @Radboud||Nijmegen||General presentation and networking|
|21/02/2020||V.C.M.W. Sigma Network event||Nijmegen||Pitch and networking event|
|30/03/2020||Field trip Province of Gelderland||Wageningen||General presentation|
|19/05/2020||ITF 2020||Antwerpen (Belgium)||General presentation and demo booth|
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) is a world-leading agricultural university, combining natural and social science disciplines to find solutions for the major challenges facing food production and our living environment.
The OnePlanet Research Center was established using start-up financing provided by the province of Gelderland. Using this funding, totaling 65 million euro, a research turnover of 145 million euro will be generated over a period of 8 years
The OnePlanet Research Center is located at campuses in Wageningen and Nijmegen, providing a forum for researchers, companies and students in the field of food and food production, environment and health.
Impulse (building 115)
6708 WE Wageningen
The (free of charge) parking lots are located in front of the building.
OnePlanet rooms: 1042, 1043 and 1057
6525 EC Nijmegen
Paid parking is available throughout the university campus. The nearest parking lot is located next to the Mercator II building.
OnePlanet rooms: 5th floor, rooms 502, 521 and 524
Looking for ways to speed up your innovation roadmap as a business or organization in the farming, food or health sectors? Are you a researcher who would like to contribute to our project? Or do you have a different question? We would like to hear from you!